Monday, January 19, 2009

Obsession


This is Britney on the day I first saw her. I hadn't heard her music, but she came on stage to present at the AMAs in 1998, (this was back when I still watched awards shows), I couldn't believe someone could shine like she does. Her hair was on her shoulders in two golden cascades. Her pink dress only amplified the whiteness of her teeth.
Then, and it's true, a guy I liked talked ceaselessly about how hot she was. I had never even heard her sing, and I hated her. Then on some other awards show, there she was singing "The Beat Goes On" in full on Cher garb. I was disgusted. I was rabidly into Led Zeppelin at the time and couldn't imagine that THAT thing was what constituted music in my generation.
So for years it was like that. I insulted her at every chance. Secretly, there was a a track or two I'd listen to in private. Then "I'm A Slave 4 U" was released. I enjoyed that song. I really did. I tried to fool myself that it was the Neptune's production, that they could make anyone sound good, they were that talented. It was the first time I publicly admitted I liked a Britney Spears song.
Then, the break-up heard 'round the world. Britney had cheated. Pop's Prince and Princess were no more. She went off her first deep end. She flipped off paparazzi. She smoked cigarettes. She canceled concerts mid-way through. Things were getting much more interesting. I started buying US Weekly, In Touch, and People, just to be closer to her world. I began downloading and listening to her music with no shame. I followed her every move closely. This trainwreck, this poor little lost soul, was a kindred spirit. The hatred I had harbored for years was gone. In it's place, true love reigned.
I am now her fierce protector, albeit from afar. I cried when she got pregnant the second time, but we all make mistakes. I wasn't angry, so much as let down. However, I forgave her for that, just as I will forgive her anything. I am anxiously awaiting the comeback tour, where I will see her twice. She will be bigger than Madonna, just you watch. She might already be...
I have acquired her entire discography. Anyone who thinks that she can't sing should listen to "Soda Pop", off of the ...Baby One More Time album. I had to go back and re-listen to it, I thought it was Christina Aguilera singing, I swear it. Sure, it's not a great SONG, but can we blame a 16 year old for that? Her management and production caused her to forget her voice and fall into some weird dancehall-lite trance. Okay, I might have been a little high when I was listening to it.






Britney, shine on you crazy diamond.

No comments: